Go to Homepage Skip to main menu Skip to main content Skip to page bottom

The Beaumont Hamel Newfoundland Memorial

Back to map

Baptism of Fire

Newfoundland was a British Dominion at the time of the Great War, and like other Commonwealth countries raised an army of volunteers for the war effort. After serving in Turkey during the Gallipoli Campaign, the Newfoundland Regiment was deployed to the Western Front, where it experienced its first baptism of fire on 1st July 1916 at Beaumont-Hamel. Upon a battlefield that had already seen extreme losses and death, the Newfoundlanders were called upon to join in the fight, but found themselves immediately caught under German machine gun fire. Only 68 of the 801 men who had gone into battle answered the roll call the next day. The Newfoundland Regiment had suffered one of the highest casualty rates of the 1st July 1916, the first day of the Battle of the Somme.

The Newfoundland Memorial

After the First World War, the Newfoundland Government acquired the land where this action had taken place to erect a memorial to the Royal Newfoundland Regiment. Designed by the landscape-architect Rudolph H. K. Cochius, it covers 30 hectares of battlefield and was inaugurated in 1925 by Field-Marshal Earl Douglas Haig, commander of the British Expeditionary Force during the Battle of the Somme.

With its remarkably well-preserved trenches, this memorial park enables visitors to better visualise a First World War battlefield. The Newfoundland Memorial depicts a bronze caribou, designed by Basil Gotto, which stands atop a rocky mound and overlooks the former battlefield. The top of this mound provides visitors with panoramic views of the former battlefield and trenches, while three bronze plaques at the base of the memorial commemorate 820 men from the Royal Newfoundland Regiment, the Newfoundland Royal Naval Reserve and the Mercantile Marine who gave their lives during the Great War and whose bodies have never been found or identified.

Another memorial, at the entrance to the memorial park, is dedicated to the 29th Division, to which the Newfoundland Regiment was attached, and a third memorial can be found on the other side of the park in remembrance of the 51st Highland Division, who captured these German positions on 13th November 1916. One single tree survived the devastation in the area: this is the skeleton of the “Danger Tree”, named as it was situated at a particularly exposed area.

Bid for UNESCO World Heritage Status

This site is among 11 sites in the Somme that have applied for UNESCO World Heritage status.

Through its design, the memorial park is an exceptional site of remembrance that enables visitors to better understand trench warfare. It combines various factors including battle remains and trenches, a landscape design dating from the 1920s, cemeteries and memorials, and an interpretation centre. It is also the principal site of Newfoundland national remembrance on the Western Front.


A service of remembrance is held every year on 1st July to mark the beginning of the Battle of the Somme. Please click here for more information about the ceremony in 2018.


Useful Information

  • From 24 January to 31 March : Visitor Centre open every day from 9am to 5pm
  • From 1 April to 30 September : Visitor Centre open every day from 10am to 6pm
  • From 1 October to 14 December : Visitor Centre open every day from 9am to 5pm
  • The centre opens at midday on Mondays 
  • From 15 December 2018 to 22 January 2019: Vistor Centre closed. No guided tours available.
  • Free access to the memorial all year
  • 80300 Beaumont-Hamel
  • Tel + 33 (0) 3 22 76 70 86
  • newfoundland_memorial@vac-acc.gc.ca
  • www.vac-acc.gc.ca
  • Longitude 2.648048 | Latitude 50.073461
Memory place type: 
Aside bloc: 
Location Lat/Long: 
POINT (2.648048 50.073461)

Latest news

The Beaumont Hamel Newfoundland Memorial
From Thursday 8 to Sunday 11 November 2018, everyone was invited to visit one of the 318 military cemeteries of the Somme and to put a flower on a soldier’s grave or a war memorial.
Read more

On Monday 25th April 2016, the 101st anniversary of ANZAC Day was commemorated at the Australian National Memorial at Villers-Bretonneux. Take a look at  some of the photos of this very moving event.

Read more